Tuesday, September 20, 2005

This could get interesting..

So the builders didn't arrive again today. Surprised? I'm not, this seems to be a trend. Its getting difficult to even get angry at them anymore because it is impossible to remain angry for extended periods of time.

Everything is in a state of disrepair. The electrics hasn't been completed so 5 weeks later we're still using one socket. The plastering is only half way and the render hasn't even been completely removed yet. Despite all of this they have promised that at the end of the week after next (2.5 weeks away) we will have 2 new layers of seal on the sandstone, new windows, new lentels and completed plaster. I'm not convinced.

Instead I am now going to start deducting from the final amount that I will pay. I will take into account all the costs incurred by their not meeting their requirements. They can chose to take me to court if they feel the need - although I doubt they will, as this would involve some commitment on their part.

I do wish that someone, somewhere would take the initiative and start a company that would act as an agency to the independant building tradesman in the UK. Someone with high expectations that would provide a standard of service and some kind of control over the projects that builders take on. Given the number of tradesman in the UK, there would never be a shortage and a simple matter of no service, no work would surely sort out the problem?

I guess my frustration stems from my inability to really do anything. Sure, we could cut our losses and get someone else on the job, but would this really improve anything? Or would it simply be a matter of the devil that we don't know?

*sigh* I'm tired of ranting, and tired of living in a building site.

I really am a pretty optimistic person by nature, no really I am!

VP

1 Comments:

Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Try the Federation of Master Builders at http://www.fmb.org.uk/ - they have model contracts for use with builders, probably too late to use with yours but maybe you can find some useful ideas on the site even if your builders aren't FMB members. Which I guess they aren't. And if you're going to start deducting (which I think is perfectly right in the circumstances) do put everything in writing to them - your plans and your reasons - and keep copies. Best of luck!

10:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

«#Blogging Brits?»