Friday, September 02, 2005

News...

Has been grim today. RO and I have been following the online records of people still inside New Orleans as well as others who have lost everything in the disaster.

There has been excellent coverage here and a truly heartbreaking fellow blogger here. I am both in awe of their abilities to write their experiences and saddened by the circumstances that they're writing in.

I have never been a fan of Bush or his governing style, but this is one time when I don't believe politics comes into it. Why has the aid taken so long? Where are the back-up law enforcement officers? I have no sympathy for those looters who have stolen for the sole purpose of selling but what about those desperate about the lack of water, food and clothing? There are children, the elderly and the sick to think of and surely any one of us would find these things if they were needed but not being provided. I struggle to go a few hours without food and water - I can't begin to imagine what it must feel like to be forced to do so for 3-5 days! Bush is heavily religious and yet I don't see his compassion when he speaks. The mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, on the other hand is clearly devastated by the devastation of the city and the people and the passion that he feels is obvious.

I'st true that pointing fingers and making judgments doesn't help the situation, but perhaps it's time people started to voice their true feelings about the state of a wealthy nation that cannot provide for its own people in a time of need.

I guess it's easy to sit across the sea and judge when I don't have to make the decisions that affect so many people. Maybe I wouldn't do a better job, maybe nobody could but like to think that I would feel the impact and that that feeling would show.

I can only hope that now that aid is finally starting to arrive, that it gets to the people and places that need it most and that the people affected by this tragedy will get the opportunity to rebuild their lives in a positive manner.

Our love and best wishes to everyone who has felt the devastation and has had to deal with the results of it.



VP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

«#Blogging Brits?»